WRIC‚ 8News‚ a Nexstar Media Group Inc. Television Station in the Capital city of Richmond‚ Virginia is seeking a smart‚ analytical Digital Data Reporter.
The ideal candidate will work with our news team to identify‚ research‚ and investigate stories through data to craft new and innovative ways of storytelling through analysis and visualizations.
Must be able to provide context and additional layers to a story.
The digital data reporter has the opportunity to elevate our journalism with his or her passion for digging deeper into a story through public records‚ FOIAs‚ and a desire to look beyond the news release to find the truth.
Candidates should have strong grammatical skills with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit.
Experience writing for an online audience and knowledge of AP style is a plus.
The ideal candidate will have familiarity with content management systems and SEO.
The ideal candidate will be able to research and report through on-the-ground information gathering and phone calls.
The digital data reporter will assist producers and reporters with brainstorming‚ finding‚ fine-tuning‚ fact-checking‚ and analyzing content. The ideal candidate will share best practices and mentor others in data analysis and digital storytelling.
- Reports news stories for digital‚ describing the background and details of events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content‚ grammar and punctuation‚ following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story's emphasis‚ length and format‚ and organizes material accordingly
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research‚ interviews‚ experience or attendance at political‚ news‚ sports‚ artistic‚ social or other functions
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such as books‚ news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
- Shoots and edits news events and news reports
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism‚ or a related field‚ or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English � Excellent communication skills‚ both oral and written.
- Minimum two years� experience in news reporting
- Proficiency with computers‚ telephones‚ copiers‚ scanners‚ fax machines and other office equipment
- Expertise with CMS workflow‚ digital storytelling tools‚ and the FOIA process
- Ability to meet deadlines‚ prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- The News Reporter must be able to sit‚ conduct telephone conversations‚ use electronic mail‚ write letters and memos‚ conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups‚ make decisions without supervision‚ make decisions that impact the results of co-workers‚ work in close proximity to others‚ work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions‚ and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
- In addition‚ the News Reporter must be able to lift‚ set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds‚ and be able to handle‚ control or feel objects‚ tools or controls.
- Repetitive movements are required.
- Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
- All Nexstar employees must first contact their current manager before applying for an Internal position.
If you like wild growth and working with happy‚ enthusiastic over-achievers‚ you’ll enjoy your career with us! EOE M/F/D/V Drug/Background Screen. Qualified applicants can apply online at www.nexstar.tv