The Virginia Association of Broadcasters (VAB) offers PAID Summer Internship Programs available to students entering their Junior or Senior year ONLY at a college or university that offers undergraduate classes in the following courses of study: Computer Science, Business, Electronic Media, Engineering, Graphic Design and Mass Communications including Advertising, Journalism (print or broadcast), Marketing and Public Relations.
The Summer Internship Program is an 8-week program for the months of June and July. All interns should plan to work 40-hours per week at $9.50/hour. A total of 32 students statewide will be selected for the program and all interns will be placed at a radio or television station in the state of Virginia. Every effort is made to place a student in their geographical area of preference; however, this cannot be guaranteed.
Only students who are Virginia residents OR a non-resident student currently attending an accredited college or University in the state of Virginia are eligible for the Summer Internship Program.Download Internship Application Download Internship Flyer
Rules For Applying
- In order to qualify for the intern program, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Good moral character.
- Exhibit grades in previous academic work, which in the judgment of VAB, are adequate to give reasonable assurance of success in completing college.
- Select a course of study relating to a broadcasting career.
- Intent to pursue a career in broadcasting.
- Apply for the grant in the manner outlined herein, and furnish all the information requested on the official application form. Do not send a resume; it will not be used. Only the application will be sent to the judging committee.
- All applicant forms must be postmarked by February 12, 2021 (please mail; faxes will not be accepted). The application must be completed in full or it will not be considered. Applications postmarked after February 12, 2021 will not be considered.
- The Virginia Association of Broadcasters will contact applicants selected to receive a summer internship via email and/or phone. It is imperative that email addresses and telephone numbers are printed legibly on the application.
- If selected, the applicant will be required to contact the station for which he or she has been paired and to schedule an interview with the assigned station prior to a commitment by the student or station for the internship position.
- The applicant recognizes that this is an internship program that constitutes a temporary employment relationship with either a radio or television station. As such, accepted applicants will receive limited benefits and will not be eligible for unemployment compensation at the end of the eight (8) week period.