Do you love LOCAL sports?! WHSV-TV in Harrisonburg, Virginia has a rare opportunity for a Sports Director. Here, you'll cover the Shenandoah Valley's active sports scene including James Madison University athletics (Sun Belt Conference) as well as two Division III athletic programs: Bridgewater College and Eastern Mennonite University (Old Dominion Athletic Conference). High school sports play a major role in our coverage with over 20 schools in our market – both in Virginia and West Virginia. As Sports Director, you'll produce and anchor live sportscasts on the station's 6:00, 10:00, and 11:00 weeknight newscasts.
Duties/Responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
- Frequently update scores on-air and our online platforms
- Generate sports story ideas, conduct interviews, produce and anchor live sportscasts
- Work with news producers, managers, photographers and reporters to coordinate sports coverage, especially when additional help is needed or when sports warrants additional coverage
- Coordinate and plan high school football coverage by assigning a team of reporters and photographers to football games each week, while producing and anchoring a weekly highlight show ("EndZone") every Friday night during the fall
- Shoot, edit and write highlights of local sporting events
- Produce longer-form sports feature stories regularly ("WHSV Sports Presents")
- Build relationships with the sports community (coaches, athletic directors, etc.) for the purpose of creating content. Establish a network of contacts and sources. Have your finger on the pulse of the local sports scene.
- Must excel at updating our digital platforms and social media accounts. This includes live tweeting from games, promoting coverage of content, breaking sports news, sending urgent sports push alerts, etc.
- Work with the News Director to coordinate sports coverage and staffing
- Work with General Manager to build and manage the sports department budget