VPM is seeking an experienced and creative News Producer to join the team at VPM News Focal Point. The weekly broadcast launched in early 2022 and covers state-wide news, politics, race, business, health, the environment, science, arts, and culture. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned TV journalist with strong producing and writing skills and knowledge of digital platforms.
VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Our teams produce documentaries, TV series and digital content. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR and PBS stations with distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. VPM Music is home to a 24/7 blend of classical, jazz and world music serving the Richmond region. Additionally, VPM has recently acquired a 40-year-old weekly publication and website, Style Weekly, that covers arts and culture. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Manages and supervises the Associate Producer position.
• Demonstrates strong journalistic ethics and creative storytelling.
• Researches, writes and produces news reports and video segments for television broadcast and digital platforms; studio and field producing.
• Researches and books guests for studio and field interviews.
• Reviews and fact checks the studio script in collaboration with editorial team members.
• Works with associate producer and journalists to create weekly show graphics.
• Writes and revises copy.
• Fact checks video segments.
• Leads post-production team to complete the final show assembly meeting editorial expectations, production standards and delivery deadlines in collaboration with senior staff.
• Works with associate producer and senior producer to finalize program descriptions and broadcast promos.
• Identifies necessary additional or archival footage for news content in your purview; ensures rights are secured and documented; supports anchor/producer and other producers with the same, at times.
• Provides editorial review and technical feedback on news content created by others, including scripts, copy and videos.
• Formats reported pieces and writes articles for release on VPM.org.
• Generates ideas and provides feedback on story pitches and episode themes as part of the editorial team.
• Collaborates with the editorial team to develop new digital content initiatives for VPM News Focal Point, including podcasts.
• Tracks broadcast ratings and digital analytics.
• Liaisons with digital team to shape storytelling across platforms and ensures roles, responsibilities and deliverables are understood and met.
• Assists with specials, elections, marketing videos.
• Exercises independent professional journalistic judgement in writing, producing, interviewing, taping, broadcasting, and public speaking.
• Works with senior staff to ensure accuracy, fairness, and editorial integrity in the content production.
• Adheres to public media standards, the VPM News strategic plan, and FCC rules.
• 5 + years of TV news production experience working with reporters, editors, production crews.
• Team player with solid news judgement and deep knowledge of and commitment to the tenets and ethics of journalism.
• Strong leadership and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently to manage and prioritize multiple stories and competing demands and deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Compelling and accurate writer with knowledge of AP Style.
• Demonstrated organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft 365, including Word, Excel, and SharePoint.
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and ability to work independently and part of a team.
• Flexible to work unusual hours and at remote locations, including overnight travel, as necessary.
• Possesses a valid Virginia driver’s license
*Experience shooting video and recording audio with professional HD cameras and audio gear.
*Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Premiere Pro editing.
*On-camera reporting experience.
*Knowledge of PBS broadcast standards and practices.
VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.