WRIC-TV the ABC affiliate in the capital city of Richmond, VA has an opening for a Weekend Meteorologist. We have dynamic weather during all four seasons in Central Virginia and the technology to cover it. Our weather team is backed by the latest cutting-edge weather tools including Baron VIPIR radar, Baron Lynx, Baron mobile products and Baron Traffic. Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Veterans.
- Produce and present weather/news reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all weather/news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers weather / news stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
- Shift includes frontline meteorologist for all of our weekend morning and evening newscasts.
- Posting on the web and social media.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience in weather presentation required
- Ability to write story from beginning to end. Knowledge of ENPS helpful and Wordpress is helpful
- Proficiency with Baron products including VIPIR Radar is helpful
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.