About WHRO Public Media:
WHRO Public Media is the largest local media company in Norfolk, VA with four TV stations and five radio channels. Since 1961, we have been at the pulse of pop culture, technology, current events and most importantly, education. Owned by a collaboration of 21 school divisions, WHRO Public Media offers employment opportunities in a variety of disciplines including communications, education, creative services, programming, interactive services, information technology, development, engineering, accounting and many other areas.
The Radio Frequency Engineer is responsible for the broadcast facilities at the studio location as well as all of the remote tower sites.
- Assist with the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of all radio and television broadcast equipment including transmitters, satellite ground stations, STL microwave links, IP networks, automation systems, studio equipment, backup power systems including UPSs and generators, HVAC systems, and any other equipment or systems as required.
- Assist with the maintenance of all company owned tower sites as well as leased areas at landlord sites.
- Assist with tower upgrades and when required supervise tower and facilities modifications.
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of and ability to perform basic repairs to HVAC systems.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform basic repairs to generators and UPS systems.
- 24/7 on call and be able to work weekends and/or holidays.
- Must be proficient with Windows and Linux operating systems.
- A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
- Must have good verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Associate’s degree in Electronics or related field, technical school, or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 4 years broadcast engineering experience preferred or 4 years of experience repairing and maintaining Military Radio Frequency Systems.
- Experience with television and FM broadcast transmitters and antenna systems.
- Experience with Satellite Ground Stations and related equipment.
- Experience with point-to-point microwave systems.
- IT Networking experience.
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like.
- Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces.
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods.
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another.
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 50 pounds in all directions.
- Communicating with others to exchange information.
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Operating machinery and/or power tools.
- Operating motor vehicles or heavy equipment.
- Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- Low temperatures.
- High temperatures.
- Outdoor elements such as precipitation and wind.
- Noisy environments.
- Hazardous conditions.
- Poor ventilation.
- Small and/or enclosed spaces.
Heavy work that includes moving objects up to 100 pounds or more with additional help.
Complete an application at https://corporate.whro.org/employment-opportunities/job-listings.
It is WHRO’s policy to provide equal employment, educational and social opportunities for all persons, without regard to race (or traits historically associated with race including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation or genetic information. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.