WHSV-TV, the dominant news station in the Shenandoah Valley, is looking for a content-driven MMJ to join our award-winning team. This position works in our two-person Augusta County bureau. You'll work with a team of established anchors, producers and reporters. Our reporters get excellent feedback, experience and opportunities to grow and advance within our newsroom and in our company (Gray Television)!
WHSV has recently been named "Outstanding News Operation of the Virginias" by the Virginias Associated Press Broadcasters. We are located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, D.C. and Richmond. We have a proven track record of growing journalists to larger Gray markets.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Enterprise, pitch, shoot, write, edit your stories (our reporters do two stories per day)
- Front stories live from the field and/or studio
- Be active on social media; post and update regularly
- Post your stories to our website WHSV.com
- Research, gather and provide information in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way possible
- Fact-check and proof your work
- Develop and maintain sources
- Contribute story ideas in our daily pitch meetings
- Demonstrate sound news judgment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- While this position is normally scheduled for weekdays, you must be willing to work mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays and breaking news events as needed
- Preferred 1 year of previous news experience or a TV newsroom internship
- A degree in journalism or equivalent professional experience
- Familiarity with non-linear editing and social media
- Recognize you are a high-profile representative of our news organization in the community and conduct yourself in a professional manner
- Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.