WRIC ABC 8 News in Richmond, Virginia is looking for the next Investigative Reporter.
We’re looking for someone willing to invest the time to dig deeper and find stories no one else will. The investigative reporter will be asked to contribute content on a regular basis that is relevant and relatable to our viewers.
Our investigative reporter needs to be an accomplished storyteller who can build stories around strong characters.
This position has a track record of prompting legislation, changing laws, and bringing home awards. WRIC is looking for someone who welcomes the opportunity to drop everything and provide a unique angle to our Breaking News coverage.
Candidates must be engaged in social media and be able to embrace it as part of their daily routine. The Investigative Reporter collects, analyzes and presents facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation or observation for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
- Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such as public records, books or news files to obtain relevant facts
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
- Ability to shoot and edit news events and news reports
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
- Minimum three years’ experience in news reporting.
- Superior on-air presence.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.