WRIC, 8News is looking for a Digital MultiMedia Journalist (MMJ/) to focus exclusively on reporting for our local digital platforms. Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
The Digital MMJ should be passionate about local news, innovative, focused on the mobile user, confident on camera, and full of creativity and initiative. This position will gather and present live and recorded video segments, online, on mobile, and on social media. These segments will be original stories that break news, dig deeper into details of breaking stories, and develop original enterprise topics exclusive to our digital platform. He or she will have a strong understanding of how to effectively use social media to publicize stories and to connect with the audience. The right candidate should also be able to perform content management tasks.
Research, writing, capturing visual content and editing general assignment stories for our websites, mobile platforms and social media.
- Produce content for multiple platforms: internet, mobile
- Pitch dynamic, local enterprise content that creates a rich user experience on digital and social platforms
- Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups and creative graphics for use on digital and social media platforms
- Organize material, determine angle or emphasis, and produce story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards
- Gather and verify information regarding stories through interviews, observation and research
- Knowledge of small tech and digital video equipment
- Knowledge of SEO optimization and Wordpress a plus
- Strong understanding of social media platforms
- Strong video & audio editing skills
- Maintain positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with co-workers in all departments
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
- Superior on-air presence
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital MMJ must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Digital MMJ must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.