Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 91 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WHSV is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia situated in the Shenandoah Valley. We have been consistently honored for our journalism by the Associated Press and Virginia Association of Broadcasters. Our team produces nearly 30 hours of local news each week. We strive to bring our viewers the best content on all platforms. Harrisonburg is a thriving community located two hours from Washington, D.C. and Richmond. We operate the market's ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates.
WHSV is looking for a Weekend Sports Anchor. This is a "hybrid" position that also reports as a news MMJ three nights during the week. The ideal candidate goes beyond the highlights and tells compelling sports stories, with attention to detail in every step of the process, from scheduling and shooting interviews, to video editing and script writing. You will cover James Madison University athletics, home of one for the top Division I FCS football programs in the country. High school sports also play a pivotal role in our coverage, with over 20 schools in our market. The ideal candidate will contribute to a weekly half-hour high school football show called "EndZone" every Friday night in the fall. During the school year, you will turn a weekly "Student Athlete of the Week" package which highlights a current high school senior. Our sports director is a seasoned veteran who's worked in larger markets covering Power Five athletics. Come work with the best. We have won (or been runner up) as the Virginia/West Virginia AP Broadcaster "Sports Operation of the Year" for several years.
- Pitching and producing long-form local sports features on a regular basis
- Passionate for telling both news and sports stories
- Reporter for our weekly "Student Athlete of the Week" franchise
- Emcee of our "Student Athlete of the Week" spring banquet
- Shooting on Sony PMW cameras and editing on Edius
- Ability to run live shots via TVU
- Ability to use iNews
- Skilled at using Twitter and Facebook, taking our social media activity to the next level
- Working in a high-pressure environment, meeting tight deadlines
- Work independently
- A Broadcast Communications/Journalism degree
- Must be willing to work all shifts including flexible weekend shifts
- Must be a self-motivator, able to meet tight deadlines, have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates good news judgment and decision making and a positive attitude.
- Must be familiar with non-linear editing. Knowledge of Final Cut Pro and Premiere editing software is a plus
- Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.